Assault on a Female is a Class A1 misdemeanor. A person guilty of this offense:
1. is a male
2. at least 18 years old and
3. commits an assault
4. on a female
This charge is often taken out by a wife or girlfriend in connection with a DVPO. This charge is in the hands of the District Attorney once brought. The “victim” can’t simply drop the charge once the parties have reconciled. Only the State can drop the charge. The State is often reluctant to do so fearing the “victim” will end up dead next time and the news media will blame the District Attorney for failure to prosecute. (It does happen!)
This charge can tear a family apart and keep a man in jail over the weekend as magistrates often don’t have the authority to set a bond in any amount. If you or a family member has been charged give us a call to learn your rights.
You do have options:
1. Complete the New Options for Violent Actions class (NOVA) in exchange for a dismissal.
2. Asserting Self-Defense as a complete defense.
3. A plea deal to a lesser charge or a Prayer for Judgment Continued. (PJC).
4. A motion to expunge any criminal charges.